Tamera Captain

ART F200X- Summer 2022

Professor Lisa Kljaich

May 18, 2022

Introduction

Blog 1

     Hi, my name is Tamera Captain since January 2021 I have been a full-time student on my way to get my bachelor’s in nursing. My goal right now is to finish college/book work and get my bachelors, then I plan to further my education and become a midwife.  So far, I have learned a little of everything, my favorite by far is microbiology and my least favorite so far was psychology. Classes are a bit challenging having to deal with Covid but it’s working. Growing up in the village I never had these kinds of opportunities but now that I do, I am taking every single chance to learn as much as I can so I could pass my knowledge down to my children. 

The type of art I do is with glass beads. I can bead onto clothing, hats, boots, slippers, mukluks, gloves, ruffs on parkas and pretty much whatever you want. I love to challenge myself into beading life like pictures, logos and just having fun with it. Here are a few photos of my work. 

                         


Not sure what first Fridays are and the only art/science type place I have gone was the California Academy of Sciences, the different things they had there were amazing. I plan to see more in the future with my family. I found a website on Pinterest that has some similar work that I also do, here Is the link: 290 Athabascan Beadwork ideas | bead work, native american beadwork, native beadwork (pinterest.com)

Hope you all have a fun summer and make time to do your art!

Tamera

Comments

  1. Beautiful beadwork. So much intricate detail. I am impressed. I used to do peyote stich wowrk and I also had a loom when I was taking a break from music. I still have a ton of beads, but I haven't looked at them in about 20 years. If you are currently in Fairbanks, Anchorage or Juneau, possibly Homer, there are First Friday events at the art galleries, and they are also great experiences for families. https://www.alaska.org/detail/fairbanks-first-friday-art-displays There is also a Facebook page which has some more off the beaten path venues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Hi Tamera I must say your beadwork is beautiful.. I have great admiration for the technique. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very talented Tamera. My teammates family also does bead work. I have always wanted a pair of slippers with bead work. I love that you want to challenge yourself and continue to amaze people with your beautiful work. Great intro looking forward to taking this class together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Tamera! Beautiful work. Who taught you to bead, or are you self-taught? I laughed when I read your introduction as I'm a psychology major and would probably feel about microbiology the way you feel about psychology! I know that arts and beading specifically is used as a therapy technique. Do you find it soothing to bead?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tamera, awesome art you got there! :) I feel you on the 'wanting to take advantage of all the knowledge you can', I'm the same way, lol. Good luck on your bachelor's degree, nursing is a good skill to have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the nice comments! Self-taught. Very soothing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is cool! How long did it take you to get that good? and were you self-taught or did someone teach you?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post Modern 1980 to Present: Games

Art Analysis