Early Modern Blog- The influence of The Great Depression


 “Sharecroppers’ Revolt"

Artist:  Joseph Paul Vorst
Year: 1939
Type: Oil on Panel
Location: Shogren-Meyer Collection

    I picked this painting because it shows how hard people worked and what kind of struggles, they had to go through during the great depression. This shows both as a teaching tool and as a history of a critical social movement of the 1930s, a period of dominant government intervention and a time of rural studies researching that needs and exploitation of the poor people. In this painting it says that he compared today to the America in the 1920s and 1930s. He was seeing warning signals, such as climate change and income disparity, that ended in a future depression. I wouldn't want a copy of this hanging in my home personally but if I were to hang it somewhere I would definitely hang it in the entryway or the man cave just to show that we're hard workers as well. 😊 I would like to compare it to this day and age but then is nowhere near the same as today.

 


“American Gothic” 

Artist: Grant Wood

Year: 1930

Type: Oil on beaverboard

Location: Art Institute of Chicago

    I chose this painting because these two give me the feeling of discipline and how important it was to prepare for anything. This painting is another iconic work from the Great Depression. It depicts an American farmer and his daughter standing in front of their home. It is now recognized as a masterpiece of American art. Grant Wood's best-known work is his 1930 painting American Gothic, which is also one of the most famous paintings in American art history. This painting was meant to be a satire of repression and narrow-mindedness of rural small-town life. I would love a copy of this painting in my home not only because it's super famous but because discipline and respect for yourself and others is a huge thing in my home.  It's like if you were not mean, strict, and disciplined you did not make it, you died.



“Unemployment” Ben Shahn

Artist: BEN SHAHN

Year: (1898-1969).

Type: TEMPERA ON PAPER

Location: LAID ON MASONITE

    I chose this painting because you could tell by the expressions on their face that they're dealing with something very important and meaningful in their lives. You can feel there were and concern during the great depression. There was something very haunting about the picture with its great sense of realism and I had to learn more. Ben Shahn was at the forefront of the American Social Realist art movement of the 1930s. The works are a pictorial criticism of the social environment that brought about these conditions. Social Realism has its roots back in the mid-19th century and the Realist movement in French art.  I would love a copy of the “unemployment” and I will probably hang it in my son's bedroom, he walked by and glanced at my computer and said, “cool picture.”


Citations: 

Joseph Paul Vorst - Wikipedia

File:Unemployment, Ben Shahn.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

American Gothic | The Art Institute of Chicago (artic.edu)



 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Modern 1980 to Present: Games

Art Analysis